Friday, April 25, 2008

What type of Journal are you? Life without suffixes

While waiting downtown Seattle to catch the bus, my fellow classmate and I discussed our most recent journal writing assignment. It just so happened that a gentleman passing by eavesdropped into our conversation thinking we were talking about journalism. The ensuing conversation was hilarious and poignant.

Friend and I Talking...
blah blah blah...Did you finish your journal?

Man on Street (hopped up on something, dazed by something else): Hey so are you like a journal? I mean what kind of journal are you?

Me: Well, um, what do you mean?

Man on Street: What kind of journal are you?
(meaning what kind of journalist are you?)

Me: I write but I'm not a journalist. I just write for school and for fun.

Man on Street: Oh well, like, I'm taking a journal class at North Seattle College. Man, you're probably way ahead of me.

Me: Well, I don't know about that...

Man on Street: You know...just remember, just remember (pointing to his heart and smiling without his front teeth) it has to come from here. Not here (his head).

Me: Okay, thanks. Have a good day...

Man on Street: Yeah man. I'm Don. (utters some sort of blessing)

Me: Nice to meet you Don, I'm Alison.

Life without suffixes is entertaining. Obviously this man had a whole lot of issues but I was blessed by his passionate engagement and bright smile. Life is surprising. What type of journal am I? What type of journal are you? This guy was on to something, we truly are journals. We are each full of stories waiting to be read, stories that are hiding, and stories still being written. Most importantly, we are part of a much bigger journal whose main theme is redemption. It's called the bible. Woohooo. by the way my b key is broken so I have to cut and paste that letter everytime so the word bible is not capitalized. I am sorry!

1 comment:

J May said...

Way to pull something meaningful out of that! That's awesome :-) It makes me think that one of the greatest blessings we have is the meaning that comes from knowing we are creatures of God and living in His story! (I wasn't trying to play off the word "history" there, haha)

Sorry about the "b" key. Way to be diligent with the copying and the pasting!