Sunday, January 20, 2008

27 dresses and the single life

A couple of my girlfriends and I (yeah you know who you are...HOLLA) just watched the newly released "27 Dresses." I must admit I am quite the hopeless romantic when it comes to this genre. Despite the handbook-like unfolding of predictable plotlines, I still melt in the end when the boy and girl melt in each others gaze, or embrace, or whatever verb you'd like to insert at this point in the film. Pretend you're back in first grade with madlibs. Those were fun eh?

With this movie and my marriage & family class as a backdrop, I somehow felt compelled to do a quick search on the books out there dedicated to the plight of the "singles." I, being one of them. There are so many books out there about marriage, I figured there had to be some good ones, or at least entertaining ones, about my situation. Here is a sampling of the titles I found.

To all the singles out there...these are for you and me :)
"Why you're still single, things your friends would tell you if you promised not to get mad"
A; okay friends, start talking...I won't get mad, well maybe not.

"Being sinlge is not a disease..."
A: THANK GOD! I was REALLY worried there for awhile. There has go to be some prescription pill out there somewhere though.

"Single: the art of being satisfied, fulfilled, and independent"
A: I guess I'm okay with being an artist. Really I think you could replace single with married though and the book would still work.

"The last year of being single"
A: Yeah, because you are so old the next year you will be dead. Okay that may be a bit over the top.

"Better single than sorry"
A: or...better married than alone

"The Christian Single Woman's Guide to Being a Player God's Way: A Practical Humorous Guide To Christian Dating"
A: 'A Player God's Way?' I wonder what God thinks about that...

"111 Ways to survive being single"
A: Now singles need a survival manual. Wow I didn't know how dangerous my life is.

"Being single on Noahs Ark"
A: Hmmmm.

and finally

"It's okay to be single"
A: phew.

You must admit there are some pretty funny titles out there. Happy Reading.

1 comment:

J May said...

Dude. Where is the "Why Being Single is 12351234523451346513461346134512345 times better than not"?

Ok, that was an exaggeration, but it seems like most of the titles wanted to come from a place of consolation. I don't think marriage is worse or anything actually. I just think that there are so many great things about being single that we rarely explore and I think it's in our lack of exploring (using a general sense of "we" hear. Not saying you fit in this category, hehe) that we fail to realize more awesome marriages with more solid roots for them.

ANY way, sorry for the rant. I've actually been thinking about a marriage/singleness blog post I want to write at the end of the current string I'm writing.

I appreciated your fun (and thoughtful) commentary on the book titles. I want to read the Noah's ark one! WTC??? I'm glad I actually read the whole post, I almost cut out at the 27 dresses/girlfriends part in fear of losing a man-card, but I braved it and am glad ;-)