Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Suffering Community

"Friends lets drink 'til our hearts break open
and our hands feel empty though they're full all the time.
It's so nice in here, I'm so glad you're here
can we just stay here all the time walk me home
we'll watch the sun come up
Don't leave me alone, cause I've been left enough..."

This insightful little lyric has brought me much contemplation over the last few days. To Chris Thile and the intrepid band of Punch Brothers I am grateful and awed. If I had a musical ability to respond with a thanks as beautiful as their music I would. But I don't and a simple word of thanks seems futile. I offer is blessings in their journey of suffering and joy. I will drink with you anytime ☺ Those who suffer much have the capacity for much joy, seemingly paradoxical yes, (true?) you decide.

Onto what I really mean to share...

Set to an elegantly solemn tender tune, the lyrics capture an aching for the invitation to suffer with friends. And not just suffer violently by getting trashed together and dissociating from the world (although is called for at times), but moving together to engage a sorrow so deep one cannot and should not bear it alone. As I listen my head conjures images of rest, vulnerability, and love. My hands are always full, I don’t easily allow myself time or space to suffer, I am afraid of asking you to be with me in my suffering. But if you will, how beautiful it will be! You don’t need to say anything, just be present and as we lift our glasses to our own depravity watch the doves of sadness fly away. By dawn the whiskey will be gone and our cups filled with tears. In the morning we’ll leave the gaze of sorrow gone by and empty hands, and turn our eyes to the sunrise. Don’t talk please, rest with me. This has been a tender and sacred time. Yes please, “thank you Jesus can I have another and another oh thank you Lord?” I’m not implying I know this time or space yet, moments yes, totality no.

Breaking closed hearts corporately. I commend those who have the capacity for the intimacy and vulnerability required to actually live out these lyrics and more precisely the contrast of feelings highlighted by the notes. I am thankful to imagine and hope for what transforming healing is possible with others. But really that’s what I’m all about trying to be.

Here’s to hope, longing, love, sorrow, gratitude, joy, desire, rest, delight, with the last word being redemption. May I celebrate with you and if time or space does not permit may you find others to celebrate with on this crazy unpredictable journey of heartbreak and hope.

And that I will drink to. Cheers.

1 comment:

J May said...

Wow, Alison, well written!

Suffering together... what an incredible theme. It reminds me of the Hebrew practice of sitting shiva.