Thursday, April 19, 2007

Two Days

I arrived safely in Tacoma with a generous welcome from friends! As I drove away from Bend and the buttes, sage, and juniper I felt sad, but excited for my life back here. I will miss the good people I met, the amazing terrain, and my favorite coffee ship Bellatazza. Now I am back in lush Tacoma, which happens to be in beautiful bloom.

The last couple of days have been interesting to say the least. My friend Max and I went to unload my storage unit with his truck only to find I wouldn't have even needed an envelope to unload it. EVERYTHING had been stolen-clothes, shoes, books, outdoor gear, kitchen stuff, CD's, etc. I knew that was a possibility when the storage place called me and said my unit had been tampered with but wasn't really expecting it to be totally cleaned out. Fortunately they know who did it. When the officer arrived he allowed them to open the culprit's unit directly across from mine. Inside I found two of my bags with my name and address on the luggage tags. The theif also burglarized a few other units so the Lakewood police have a special operations detective on the case.

Although it makes unpacking easy, since all I have is what fits in my Honda Civic, I am bummed to lose sentimental pictures, letters, memories-and such. At the same time, as I was unpacking what fits in my Honda civic I was surprised at how much I actually fit in that car! Ultimately it is just "stuff" and most of it can be replaced. Luckily I have insurance. I highly reccomend getting renters insurance for all of you who rent! It is going to be my life saver. I am just relieved it is not one of my body parts, a friend or family member, or my dog! It's going to be a pain in the ass to do the paperwork, but that's all I can do. It is a very obvious reminder of the truth that material things can be gone in a moment and not to get too attached. Life is immensely bigger than stuff.

That happened my first day back.

When I woke up the next morning I found my new pet had puked, pied, and pooped all over the living room floor. Hello day number 2.

Today is day number three home and so far so good. I was a bit nervous to discover what else would come my way.

No comments: