Monday, January 08, 2007

ThOuGHTs from The BackPOrcH

I have been sitting in this coffee shop for almost four hours, surfing the web, catching up on emails, and fluctuating between being highly caffeinated and slightly less decaffeinated. Mars Hill Grad School is the first link on this blog and I often visit what I have known as "home" last year to check up on the happenings. I also spent some time visiting student blogs and was impressed by the depth, honesty, creativity, and beauty I found. So much so it almost and I mean almost, moved me to tears. Although many tangible and intangible things separate me from MHGS for at least a few more months, I have pleasantly discovered I am still deeply connected. Most of the time I am too impatient to actually read people's thoughts on their blog. I'd much rather just look at pictures. One because photos provide a visual connection, two because I get impatient, and three because sometimes people seem to be trying too hard. And THAT is a person I do not want to be. I must admit, I consider myself to have depth but not always. And so far this blog has leaned much more to the "not always" side. Even when I started this blog I noted my apprehension toward trying to be too much of a philosopher. Because I know myself enough to know I am not. And I'm insecure. If I post more than pictures and short captions will anyone actually read them? And does it really matter if they do? I guess we'll find out because reading other's peoples thoughts challenged me to go out of my comfort zone and share a bit more..

First off, why am I a dog musher? Surprisingly enough, it's not just another adventure, an escape from the "MACP three-year plan", search for a man (although.. I did met a rather stellar guy), faith crisis, or other such meltdown. It actually has more to do with my call to counseling, an ongoing dream, and putting those two together. I've tossed around the idea of using animal therapy, specifically with sled dogs, in a residential treatment program for addiction-for eating disorders. So here I am. After a year of exploring my own story (to tie a nice little bow on reality) and feeling the constant pull of curiosity to know, really know, if this little idea I had would be feasible I decided to forgo the life I knew in Tacoma, the community that kept me there, and move to a town where I knew no one and where my lifestyle would become that of a musher. I wanted to know how to take care of the dogs, if having a kennel at a rehab center would be feasible, what it's like to have 100 dogs as coworkers, but most of all, if these amazing creatures could teach me anything about life, love, and healing. And if they could, how can I share that with others? That's what I'm in the middle of...

The answer to this question is undoubtedly YES. I've learned to think in metaphors, or more accurately ACCESS these metaphors that are hiding in my mind. And to say that sled dogs provide a few metaphors that could be helpful in recovery is an understatement. From everything to food to trust to forgiveness to power to exercise to emotion, these dogs have it. I know that at any moment I can walk out into the yard and have an encore of dogs vying for my attention. I know that I can go and get a big hug from any of these dogs no matter how I feel, a taste of unconditional love. I know that these dogs rely on me. And I know that these animals love well and that they are a gift from God. I know that someday these dreams will come together...My best friend encourages me to always "live the dream." I feel content and proud to say I am.

No comments: